Friday, July 13, 2007

Oh, the Hardship

Mimi and I were riding in the car today, and out of nowhere she asked

Do you think Gone With The Wind ever played in movie theaters?

I smiled and said Yes.
Then she asked

What about Fiddler on the Roof?

Yes, that one too.
At which point I explained that most movies made anytime before she was born, were pretty much made for the theaters. None of this straight-to-video thing that they sometimes do now. And when I was growing up, there were no VCRs, DVDs, or DVRs.

So basically, anytime you wanted to see a movie, you had to go to a theater?
(Pause for me to nod.)

That sucks!

I haven't told her yet about growing up without a remote control, nor about having only 5 channels to choose from - I'm waiting for a time when I can really milk it.

8 comments:

Heather said...

It's hard for me to imagine that too! I can't imagine only being able to watch a movie while it was in theaters.... such a tragedy.

That Chick Over There said...

Oh the humanity!

Mrs Andy said...

Did you tell her about writing pen and paper letters that you had to mail and wait for?

I remember going to see Gone With the Wind on the 50th Anniversary of it's release, in the theater. My mom took me and my friend. We thought it was might cool that there was an intermission too. (We went out and got a popcorn refil)

Randi said...

That's RIGHT!! And about typewriters, where if you made a typing error, you were either stuck with white-out (which many of my professors would not tolerate) or starting the page over. Oh, boy! Keep em coming.

Unknown said...

I only had three channels the entire time I was growing up. It's the reason I'm perfectly happy and completely addicted to regular no frills cable.

Anonymous said...

Having to go "clear over" to the "one television" to change to one of only "three the channels" sure did cut down on arguments of what to watch.

Babzanne Barker said...

We only had three channels, too, and they were all black and white. And at midnight all the television stations shut down until the next morning. Plus, no dishwasher until I was fourteen, no microwaves, and no air conditioning in our cars! Now that was the biggest hardship of all. I could go on but I'm already feeling older than the rest of you.

Randi said...

Hello Mother of the Bride - welcome to the blog!
I remember the first time a tv station in our area decided to go 24 hour. I could not imagine what they would possibly air that anyone would care to watch. HA!