Thursday, January 24, 2008

No Wonder

So my brothers and sisters and their spouses were all sitting around after dinner talking about our favorite foods. And this is a decision I do NOT take lightly, people. I mean, think about it. What if I end up on death row one day, and I haven't thought about my favorite food, so when they ask for my last meal request, I just blurt something out, and then it's not really my favorite food, and so the last, THE VERY LAST meal I ever have ends up being something cruddy. Like meatloaf, or whatever, when I could have had French Raspberry Tarts!

Yes, these are the things that float around my brain.

Anyway-

I was listening to everyone talk about their one favorite food. And yes, the raspberry tarts made several appearances on various people's lists. Also mentioned were chocolate mousse, and a thick New York steak. All noteworthy foods.

I myself was leaning toward either fresh popcorn with real butter, or fresh whole wheat bread with butter and strawberry jam.

Then someone mentioned crab legs. With butter. And it occurred to me what my real all-time favorite food is. I mean, think about it - is there anything that's not better with real butter? Grilled shrimp? check. Corn on the cob? check. Heck, I can even remember my grandma making me a peanut butter sandwich with the peanut butter on one slice of the bread... and on the other? butter. It was good too.

So if I'm ever eating my last meal on death row, I guess we now know what it will be. .

A giant plate of butter. Can you think of anything better?

At least it's better than meatloaf.

22 comments:

Heidi said...

I LOVE peanut butter and butter sandwiches. I grew up on them. And I eat them constantly when I'm pregnant.

goddessdivine said...

Butter always makes things better. (So much better than margarine. Yech!)

But, I don't know if I'd want to chomp on a cube of butter.....

Yvonne said...

I do love meatloaf, but it definitely wouldn't be my last meal, either!!! You're so right about butter. It makes things taste sooooooooo much better. One of my kids when they were little used to eat butter plain.

The Wiz said...

I too have thought about my last meal. I've decided I can't decide about it unless I know who's cooking it. Do I get Wolfgang Puck preparing it? Bobby Flay? Or some random prison cook?

These issues also float around in my brain.

mindyluwho said...

Butter makes everything better. I love saltine crackers spread with butter. One thing my mother used to do that drove my husband crazy was to dip her Tostido chips in butter!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Mmmm....just give me the bread...

Heather said...

Yum, I know what to make for dinner if you ever come over.

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

I am going to go and make some fresh popcorn with butter on it. Then I am going to whip up a raspberry tart, then grill a steak and bake a meatloaf. You can't just list tons of really good food and expect that a ravenous pregnant woman is not going to want to have it all right now!! :)

But I really am going to pop some yummy popcorn right now, (with my popcorn maker, not microwave). That sounds like a perfect treat.

Lena said...

Oh yuck! I mean, I love butter too- but a plate? lol. You may regret this post when you get a plate of butter for Christmas dinner one year... Now, I remember smearing butter on my hands when I was really little and licking it off...

Super Happy Girl said...

So I'm not a butter lover, sorry, please don't sue me.

For my last meal on earth I'd go with seafood.
Yeah, delicious.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Dr. Pepper would be my choice. With the rabbit-turd ice. (you know, the little tiny square ice cubes that are so delicious to crunch?)

The Wiz said...

AAAAAA!!! I LOVE Dr. Pepper over crushed ice, but I don't think I can ever have it again, now that I have the mantal image of 'rabbit-turd' ice.

I MIGHT get over it, though. But seriously.

Marilyn said...

LOL-why absolutely, why waste a good pound of butter on anything else....

Anonymous said...

You know most foods can be improved by dipping them in either butter or chocolate.

OHmommy said...

I love real butter. I even buy the fancy danish butter roll because it is simply divine.

LOL.

Even the one time a year we go to the Ritz for brunch... I run for the bread and smear it with butter and strawberry jam. Yummy!

Lippy said...

LOL, since I do hate me some meatloaf, I'm in concurrence here - IN SPADES!

Can we work it that those crab legs make it into my cell with that butter, though?

Nancy Face said...

My daughter's boyfriend loves our meatloaf...big time!

My final death row meal shall be a huge lobster tail with a huge dish of melted butter...ahhh!!! :)

Corrine said...

mmmm i love butter. when i was pregnant with my second and we were at a formal dinner, i kept eating the butter balls, i had a roll in my hand placed the butter on it and ate the butter not the roll, but didnt want the people around me knowing i was just eating butter....

Christine said...

Too funny! My little sister used to climb up on the counter when my mom was cooking, grab the cube of butter and chomp away. Might as well have been a candy bar. She loved it. You might be onto something here.

Fun blog!

Unknown said...

okay you are making me DROOL! yum! i love crab legs with butter. and corn on the cobb with butter. i need a napkin now :)

yea, totally forget the meatloaf!

Jenera said...

I've had this same talk with my hubby about my final meal. For me, anything with potatoes in any form. I'm talking mashed, baked, fried, scalloped, the possibilities are endless. And it must all be topped with gravy!

I'm drooling over here!

Jenera
Just Me

Melissa said...

Hmmm... this is an interesting question... and one that I will need to ponder... what would be my last meal? But more importantly, what in the world did I do to be on death row???