Friday, August 22, 2008

Happy Day

This summer has been a rough one for me. Besides the continual roller coaster ride of trying to get a new business started, I have been worried about all 4 of my children. They've all been struggling with decisions of eternal proportions. And while I can certainly share an opinion, when it comes down to it, everyone makes their own choices.

There's a saying that goes something like this:
A mother is only as happy as her saddest child.
And it's more or less true. It's been a little stressful around here, what with everyone making big decisions in their lives and all..

I don't usually write a lot about my family on my blog. There are lost of reasons, but the main two are:
  • Getting anyone's permission to tell a story about them is like bathing a batch of kittens. I mean, it's possible, but somebody's going to end up bitten and scratched.
  • I don't want creepy stalker people to necessarily know what my kids look like, or even their names. Thus almost everyone on my blog gets a fake name.
But today is a happy day! Everyone seems to be pulling out of their potential nose dives. (Which sounds a bit more dramatic than I intended, but you know what I mean, right?) So in honor of my near giddiness over this fact, I will share with you a very RARE update!


See this missionary?

Doesn't he look amazing? He's starting to get into the groove of the mission life, and finally adapting a little bit. Now, he was absolutely determined to stay the full 2 years, even if he was miserable the entire time. But he's finding out that it doesn't have to be that way. I am continually grateful for members, strangers, companions, and missionary couples who love and support him and help him every day. Kinda makes me a little teary.


Hannah has decided to move out so she can make her own rules and curfews. She got her very own apartment! She is so excited to move this weekend, and I'm excited for her. She found a cute place, and we are busy with decorating on a budget!!



Lizzie has started the fall semester in all it's glory. She is busy from the starting bell of 6am seminary to the last marching band note - sometimes at 9 pm. She's also got a full schedule of difficult classes, and yes, she did end up in AP English. But this year, she decided that Young Women (youth group) would move higher up on the priority list. And I'm so proud of her for that decision!


Mimi is loving her new school, and is also back in the drama scene, going to practices several times a week.

She's ecstatic! And she's also figured out how to keep up her grades (so far) so there's been no constant battle over that. I think she's also figuring out that the friends she chooses will have a big impact on how she lives her life in the long run. Not to mention on how much freedom she can get in the short run.


I don't want to jinx anything, but I'm starting to feel like - Hey! Things might be looking up around here. And even if this is just a lull in the storm, which I'm pretty sure it is, I'll take it.

28 comments:

Paul said...

That's great news - especially regarding your son!

I think a lot of missions follow that cycle. Nineteen-year-old young men are not naturally inclined to service. Most are right in the middle of the most selfish time of their lives (college, partying, being generally irresponsible). It takes some time for even a great kid to adjust to the rigors of missionary work.

It's one of the things that continually impresses me regarding LDS culture - SO many young men and women willing to drop everything to go serve.

Yvonne said...

Yes, that saying is one I think of quite often--when I wish I could REALLY cut those apron strings and let their choices and their decisions and those consequences truly be THEIRS!!!

I am so glad to hear that your elder is doing well--I know what you mean about the gratitude you feel about all those who are there giving him their support.

I'm glad this is a happy day. Here's to many more.

Heather said...

So excited for you and your kids, even though I've never met them. Here's to a HAPPY MAMMA!

Dave said...

My boys are 1 and 2. Are biggest worries are is Josh going to fall out of the tree and is Eli going to smear chocolate all over my white shirt right before church.

I'm glad things are looking up around your house. I hope things turn out as gracefully for us in 18 years :-)

Randi said...

Dave, I know what you mean. As I was writing this I was remembering the days when I got to choose the friends, music, tv shows, and activities.
At one point, it seemed like our biggest worries were whether the pink shoes were left out in the rain, and who's turn it was to go with Daddy to the store.

There are lots of things that are wonderful about having older kids, but somedays I really miss the babies.

Anonymous said...

Know how you feel. Always a blessing to have everyone doing well and moving forward. Love the missionary photo.

Melissa said...

Hurrah! I'm so glad your missionary is doing well... my brother really struggled for the first year. There was a point in time where we expected him to turn up on the front porch at any moment...
The apartment is cute! Ah... to have a clean slate to decorate :) Have fun with that!! Oh, and just a thought... I noticed that Joann's and Michael's are clearancing out all their summer stuff... you never know what you might find! :D

Becky said...

YAY!!! I'm so glad to hear that everyone is doing well!! We pray for your missionary at pretty much every single prayer offered at our house.

Hey, what did Lizzie decide to do about that date?

mindyluwho said...

Enjoy it while it lasts...and I hope it lasts for a long time for you! Me. I'm dealing with an erratic 13.9 year old and not doing too well!

Elizabeth-W said...

So happy for you!!! And I loved the quote. It is wise.

Anonymous said...

Thank heaven for spaces of sanity. I realize my day is coming with my girls but for now I'm happy to complain about the amount of dirty diapers those two put out in a single day. The problems only get bigger.

As for my son, well, this is baptism year and what a drama that has been! He did decide to get baptized which I was a little surprised by but cool with waiting on if he chose.

Thank heaven they'll be grown ups in the eternities.

Hopefully I'll feel grown up then too.

ganelle said...

It's always so great to breathe after holding your breath for awhile!

It's kinda too bad that as mom's were aren't as happy as our happiest child. Wouldn't that make the job so much more enjoyable?

. said...

I totally teared up reading about your missionary! I KNOW the feeling! Mind if I write to him and share a little about what I learned through my experience? Would he mind? I hope there's some smooth sailing headed your way for awhile. As for me, maybe since you've been there, done that you can help me figure out how to convince a 1 1/2 year old not to screech bloody murder when anyone even looks at her wrong, a baby with acid reflux that he doesn't need held most of the day and 2 bigger girls that fighting over everything really isn't worth their while? I need a happy day.

somebodysmom said...

Your Mom once told me when I mentioned to her that I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, that it was just a gorilla with a flash light. Honestly I do think things get better. You have wonderful children and I also think that you are quite amazing.

NG said...

Sounds like you've done a great job raising them. I really believe that the measure of a parent is not how many things go right in their children's lives, but rather how those children deal and the decisions they make when things go wrong. I hope I can do as well as you have when mine are that age (although I'm still not looking forward to it.)

Vern said...

My missionary nephew recently wrote to my sister about being excited to tract into someone that was really nice and excited to hear what they had to say. Turned out to be a transvestite...who was high at the time. I don't think they cover that in the MTC.

mormonhermitmom said...

Thank you for sharing your joy. Wishing you more wonderful moments!

Amy Peterson said...

I love seeing pics of all yours! Nose dives are just a part of life- and make everyone stronger in the long run! Are you headed to Swiss Days this year?

Jenn said...

It's my first time through and I'm stopping in to say, "Hey." I don't normally comment but you are very compelling. (I wish I had put fake names of my kids on my blog too, maybe there's still time to make changes.)

Unknown said...

Pretty insightful that a mom is only as happy as her saddest child. So, so true! Just the other day, my husband and I were saying that though these younger years are tough with our children, at least they are not making any decisions that will have lasting negative consequences.

But it won't be long!

goddessdivine said...

I'm so happy for you and your family. What a great report indeed. You have every reason to be a proud mama!

Corrine said...

i am so happy for you it is nice to have those upswings in life.

Tori :) said...

As a mom I am totally excited for you!

Anonymous said...

YEA YEA YEA!!
:)

Unknown said...

Yeah...I'm glad to hear success stories. We should get you a Mom of the Year button. Congrats for you with each of your kids!

When I grow up (and I better do it quickly at this point), I'd like to be a mom like you.

Nancy Face said...

That saying is SO TRUE!

I'm very happy for you! :)

Super Happy Girl said...

YAY!!!!
You have cute kids!

Ooooh ahhh! Missionary! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like the kids are doing great. I just came over here from Vern's blog to say hi. I hope you had a fun lunch.