Monday, March 2, 2009

Mayo Clinic

Doesn't that sound serious?

The company The Brain works for offers this free health screening and counseling through the Mayo Clinic. I signed up for it and everything, so you'd think at some point I would stop PANICKING when I see it on the caller id. But no, every time I see the caller, I assume they're calling to tell me I have cancer. Which I don't. (THAT I KNOW OF!)

They are usually calling for their pre-scheduled counseling appointment.
I have yet to determine whether the service is of any value. They gave me 6 free phone counseling months to help me drop that stupid 20 pounds. (Which is actually down to 15 pounds today - -thankyouverymuch.) The counselor on my case would call monthly and ask me the very same questions that I already ask myself every time I get on the scale.

Have you been exercising more?
Have you been eating less?
What plans do you have to modify your behavior?

Ummmm, excuse me, but isn't this THE MAYO CLINIC? Are you telling me that the world medical authority has the same weight loss theories as the 1997 Allure Magazine I found at the dentist's office the other day?

Because there is something really wrong with that.

17 comments:

Pancake said...

No kidding! I think I would start asking her... so are you going to start calling me more, stop annoying me less and what are your plans to modify yo9ur behavior!

Dave said...

I have a buddy that is an intern at the Mayo Clinic. Not that it really applies to this post, I'm just sayin'

But the Mayo Clinic has experts, so these questions from them are WAY more valuable then from getting them from some magazine, or especially from yourself

Heather of the EO said...

Next time I think you should ask if they can add at least one more question, a very unique one!

Becky said...

Eat less? Exercise more? Can't they come up with a magical pill that will just melt away the pounds or something??

Of course, it would probably cause cancer...

Annette Lyon said...

Wow . . . that's . . . so helpful.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Yeah! You'd think they'd use way more high-tech methods! Dangitall!
:~D

mormonhermitmom said...

Well you know, that's why they call it "medical practice".

melissabastow said...

Wow - I'm really not turning to the Mayo Clinic to lose weight. I'll take that Allure magazine though...

Yvonne said...

You should ask her whose plans she thinks needs modifying????

BTW, with what it costs to go to the Mayo Clinic--they should fly to visit you and offer face to face counselling.

goddessdivine said...

Yeah, I don't see how that's going to help. I would probably screen my calls and avoid that one anyway.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

You're brave for letting a third party be involved in your weight-loss program. I would feel so pressured to have to answer to some stranger about what I've done to lose weight. On second thought, it probably leads to higher probability for success because now you have to answer to some one. Okay that makes sense.

Fiauna said...

Just popping by from Mormon Moms Who Blog. It is amazing that there are some many ways to write the equation Calories In +/- Calories Out = Weight gain/loss.

Super Happy Girl said...

That's would freak me out too.

Mayo Clinic. All serious all the time.

Melissa said...

Eat less? Exercise more? Is THAT what I need to do? ;)
I guess some advice is tried and true and withstands the test of time? Or... um... something like that :)

Jennifer said...

I am so impressed to hear you are 1/4 of the way towards your weightloss goal!! You're just getting your momentum going! YOU GO GIRL!!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Goodness. Well, I'm glad to hear losing weight is that SIMPLE.

Heidi said...

No doubt! They are aiming their program at the lowest common denominator. Doesn't sound like you are it.