Friday, February 19, 2010

Buckle Up, Kids

For the last couple of months I've been dealing with some writer's block issues.  I'm not self-absorbed enough to think that you may have noticed that my posting is more trickling than flowing, (and I mean that in the sense of quality as well as quantity.)  but you know, somewhere in my imagination I like to think that you turn on your computer every day wondering if I'll be there, like Hal the evil computer in Space Odyssey  2001.

( if you do that you might want to consider opening the pod bay doors.  Just sayin.)

I'm not sure it's as much writer's block, I think, as writer's inhibition.  I have things to say. Oh My, Do I have things to say.  But somewhere awhile back I got tripped up by finding out who was reading my blog, and people saying kind of funky things to me in person as well as in email.  Not anything mean, just sort of awkward.  Like you know when you get your hair cut, and someone comes up to you and says "Hey!  You got your hair cut!"  and you have no idea how to respond except to just say  "yep".
(Do people think that's a compliment? Awkward!)

 Because of this and some other stuff, well,  I've let it make me a little self conscious.  To the point where every time I write, I edit obsessively and wonder who I'll offend with every post. And friends, that is just no way to live.
So I've decided to try to break out of whatever this is.  It's not going to be pretty, but I'm trying a little writing exercise for a few weeks.   It involves sort of free writing, and trying not to obsess or edit compulsively.   

I have no idea what will happen...

For sure it will be random
Likely it will be boring
Probably someone will be offended (though I hope people who know me at all know that I don't mean to offend anyone.)
Hopefully just getting back into the habit of writing by you know, actually writing (what a concept) will be enough to break through whatever this is.

You're welcome to ride this little roller coaster with me, or not....But if you decide to stick around, I recommend a 5 point harness, and keeping your hands and arms inside the car.


And because it's Friday:

EXACTLY.

28 comments:

Dave said...

hey, you posted a blog

Randi said...

*sigh*

yep

Barbaloot said...

So, I loved one of the quotes you posted a few Fridays past(If life hands you lemons, give them back and ask for chocolate) and I'm having it made into a cute plaque that I'm putting up in my kitchen. Can't wait to get it. Thanks for the inspiration:)

Kristina P. said...

I always love your blog. It's one of my favs.

Amy said...

I am going through the whole worrying about who I might offend thing myself. I have even removed a post or two because I was a little concerned. I am trying not to worrry about it but, hey, only a few people read it and I would like to keep them. LOL.

By the way, I enjoy reading your blog. It is even listed on my blog in "Places I Visit".

Keep on writing.

Yvonne said...

Well, if you've received my e-mails you know I've missed. I love your writing--no matter what you say. You make me smile, think, and shake my head in agreement.

Keep it up ; )

Loralee and the gang... said...

I know what you are feeling...I always edit based on all those things you mentioned. But in some ways, it has made me a better person, because if a certain thing I did shouldn't be metioned, well, then maybe I shouldn't do it in the first place. But that's just me...I always enjoy your posts and also have your blog listed on my sidebar under "Blogger Friends - 'cuz They Write Some Really Great Stuff". That's the title of the list - for real!

Emmy said...

Good for you.. and you know often when I just write to write it turns out to be my favorite thing I have written in a long time.

mindyluwho said...

My seat belt is securely fastened. Drive on!

Amy Peterson said...

I've got two 5 point harnesses-- so sounds like I'm good! And btw someone is always bound to be offended, but your right, trying to figure out what to say so you don't offend someone is no way to live! So from this lover of moneys driving speedboats-- "DRIVE ON" !!!!! (thanks for the line mindyluwho)

Salt H2O said...

Randi, I hear you loud and clear. I guess the key is to ask yourself why you blog, and stick to that reasoning when you post:

Someone in my ward once got mad at me for an opinon I expressed on my blog. She thought I didn't value motherhood and that I thought I was better than everyone else because I worked.

Then I got MASSSIVE hits from a website that had reposted one of my posts, but warned the readers that the rest of my blog was 'retarded'

I posted a personal experience with a friend, leaving her nameless and she still took offense.

I've discovered that my old YW leaders, members of my parents ward, and distant relatives read my blog..

I blog for me, not for anyone else. I need to feel like my voice or opinion is being heard by someone, anyone. When others join in the conversation I'm delighted but if they take offense, it's their issue- I didn't make them read my blog.

Rebecca said...

I'm always worried about offending...it's annoying. Power to you for working to getting past that!

RoeH said...

Hey...I'm with ya'. :) Nobody could get offended from my blog. There's too much 'nothing' in it.

Vern said...

justrandi is unleashed. I, for one, can't wait.

Jillybean said...

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do..........

rocslinger said...

Their are people that can't make it through the day without being offended about something, I think you could be doing them a favour.

Anyhow I am here to offer you my services, if you feel the need to slam someone than slam me. I can take it and besides I don't know where you live.

LisAway said...

I have never once thought of HAL when coming to your blog. And I say who cares what people think/say! If only it were that simple. Look forward to seeing how this monkey does on her speedboat! Good luck!

Unknown said...

I have the same problem! My grown kids read my blog, and my husband, and people from church! ACK! How can I be open and honest when I'm trying not to step on anyone's toes! I'm anxious to see how your experiment goes!

mormonhermitmom said...

I know my mom reads my blog, so I have to keep my language clean.

Help I need a user name! said...

The same thing happened to me-a friend read my blog, commented positively, and I just clammed up. I say "Go for it!" I'm in. Let's ride.

goddessdivine said...

Just think of me, and maybe you won't feel so bad. I am the epitome of offending. (Hence the reason for the monikor and the failure to solicit readers from my ward.) Some people are just too sensitive. And like I always say, "If you don't like it, don't read it!!"

Personally, I love it when people are just themselves and completely honest. It's raw; it's refreshing; it's AWESOME. But I love you no matter what randi, and your entries are always fun.

Heather said...

What is the world without a little spice... foot in mouth are the best posts- hands DOWN! (I should know I've written my fair share). Bring it on Randi!

Rhonda said...

Forget them! Blog for me, just me, and you can rid yourself of the worries that come from possibly offending someone!

Yah, I get weird comments sometimes too. But I'm sorta like-if you don't like it, don't read it. Love me or leave me baby!

Tammy said...

Write on Randi! You make me laugh and smile!

"Q" said...

I say offend them all!!

Jennifer said...

I can decide if I admire people who can just write, write, write and not stress about what they say or if I cringe for them. I write very little on my blog, because I'm a worry wart.

Melissa said...

I edit every post multiple times... and, usually after I post it, I edit it again.
And I say... bring on the random! And if you offend people, well, I think that's their problem :)

tricki_nicki said...

Hey girl! This is one of the reasons I stopped writing in my little bloggy for a while. I couldn't take the pressure! You're awesome and I can't imagine why anyone would be offended by you!!