Thursday, September 9, 2010

Excitement! May! Be! Overrated!

I'm at my brother's house for the next day or two to watch the kids while their mom is having a New! Baby! and it's Very! Exciting!

Of course, the other 3 kids are so excited about the New! Baby!  It has been one huge day of Energy! because how often in your life do you get a New! Baby! to come and live at your house, right?

So we went to the hospital after school to visit the New! Baby! and then dinner, and then we are all pretty much exhausted from all the excitement, but before we can wind down, the second grader has homework that must be completed, checked off, and signed.   So with a heavy sigh, he gets it out and sits up to the table, only to discover that he can not find his spelling words.  This, combined with the coming down from the New! Baby! high of the day is almost more than he can bear.

I shuffle around his homework book, while he goes to look in his backpack.

"Hey! Great news!  I found your spelling words,"  I call.

His response?

"How is that great news!? I HATE math!"


Ahhhh.  Well said, my friend.
I know the feeling.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Did the New!Baby! try to maim you in anyway?

Vern said...

That kid's going to go far.

Jillybean said...

Was "math" one of his spelling words?

Today I had to bribe my 5th grader with an ice cream cone to get him to finish his math homework.

He shares the same feeling about math.

Dave said...

i used to do math problems for fun.

Yvonne said...

It's so fun to be around little ones. When your in 2nd grade homework can be confusing.

ENJOY.

Melissa said...

I have to disagree with Yvonne... homework confused me all the way through college :)

Tammy said...

How awesome of you to be there to help. I LOVED when my sister in laws came to help me with my last baby.

Jennifer said...

Funny kids! I am so glad you were able to go for a few days.