Sunday, June 17, 2007

Do We Really Need This?

So I'm in the grocery store this weekend, waiting by the pharmacy, and there's this HUGE display for a product called ALLI. Pronounced with a long i at the end.

OK...

I'm waiting and have nothing else to do, so I pick up a brochure to see what all the fuss is about. Turns out it's a newly marketed weight loss drug. As always, I turn immediately to the side effects page - 'cause once I have the gist of what the drug is for, the very next thing I want to know is what else is going to happen, right?
And I quote:
You may get:

* gas with oily spotting
* loose stools
* more frequent stools that may be hard to control

and people, I'm wondering.. . . how did we get to a place where we would rather have the above possibilities, than just getting off our duffs and moving around a little?
I mean, who is sitting in front of the TV, sees an ad for this, and says to themself,

"Hmmm. I may not be able to, um, control myself, but since I want to be thinner so badly, I'm just gonna go with it."

And isn't there a point where we'd just rather be fat? At least I'd rather have a fat person sitting next to me on the bus, than one with that last side effect.

Not much to think about, is there?
I think I'll pass on the Alli.

(pun intended)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

randi: you crack me up. i am laughing. thanks for making me laugh out loud.

~needed this laugh, thanks, happy Sabbath night, kathleen :)

Heather said...

I remember those warning signs on the products made with Olene...

I had the same thoughts- you'd rather have greasy panties than be big??!

Ramona said...

You see the way this works is once the side effects start working within you body no matter where you are you will find the desire to get up and sprint therefore raising your heart rate.

:)