Thursday, December 20, 2007

I'm Not a Shopper, OK?

I've never really enjoyed shopping for extended periods of time. But I can do it if I have a goal. Shopping just to shop? Forget it. I'd rather give myself a root canal with no anesthesia. (perhaps that's a little strong. And graphic. ... but you get the idea.)
Even grocery shopping - I refuse to go unless I have a list and an exit strategy. No dawdling for this girl. Get in, get out. And you can forget about socializing while I'm "on duty".

Apparently, though, I look like I know what I'm doing. Today as I was perusing the refrigerated section at Costco, a confused looking man asked me about the uncooked tortillas, because he was having a party tonight and wanted to make quesadillas as appetizers. And as I gave him instructions, a crowd began to gather. I found myself giving detailed directions on How To Brown Tortillas And Melt Cheese to 3 active listeners, while several others were taking an unusually long time to choose their lunch meat.

Next store- the Kroger - known in Colorado as King Soopers. As I was choosing which canned cinnamon rolls to buy for Christmas morning (when we do things the ultimately easy way), a very cute older woman wanted to engage me in a discussion of whether you can make monkeybread with canned biscuits or do you have to use the frozen rolls. I was quite amused that she thought I knew or cared. And I stopped and talked to her about it, not because I knew or cared, but because she was nice, and I didn't want her to be lonely there in the unbaked cookie dough and jello section of the Kroger.

Then tonight The Brain and I went to pick up an electronic item that we will be needing next Tuesday. You have to know that The Brain knows everything about any electronic item before he buys it because he's just cool and smart like that. And he actually likes to do the research and read the reviews, and even remembers which reviews went with which products. All I know is that it was silver, ok? And I don't care if that does promote gender stereo-typing. There's a reason for those stereo-types.

So we're wheeling it out, and a guy on his way in spots it in our cart and runs over to us - no - to ME asking if I had researched that item before I bought it, and what about the resolution problems in the last model? Or some kind of gobbledy gook tekkie talk like that. He was flashing print-outs in my face, and talking really fast.

I pointed at The Brain and nodded, and the two had soon bonded and were sharing electronic stories like old friends, while I headed for the car to wait in the warmness.

I guess I'm glad I appear nice and approachable. I still say I'm not a shopper, but I'll give out all the free advice you want. And just to save you the time of asking - - all my electronic shopping advice starts and ends with "get the silver one".

13 comments:

Hope4Hannah said...

The silver one huh? hmmmm

Yvonne said...

Is it the runner in you? You just can't stand still in one place for very long--is that why you don't like to shop? I love to browse and look at everything. I just don't like the crowds.

I think it's sweet that you were worried about the older woman (probably my age) in Kroger's being stuck alone in the unbaked cookie dough section.

Have a great day ; )

Nancy Face said...

Last night Hubby and I were at the Bass Pro Shop buying an Air Soft pistol, 5,000 plastic BB's, and six Moon Pies. Everyone who saw us seemed quite amazed by our selections, and we had some amazing conversations going on all around, haha! :D

Nancy Face said...

Apparently I really like the words "amazed" and "amazing"...also, I'm not much of a shopper either!

mindyluwho said...

As a teenager I would spend hours at the mall...now you have to drag me in there. And lucky for me I have a husband who likes to grocery shop, so I only have to enter the grocery store maybe once per month!

Silver is it? Thanks!

goddessdivine said...

I love shopping.....except for groceries. I'm in, I'm out.

Next time you run into the lady at Krogers you can tell her that YES, you can in fact make monkey bread with canned biscuits. I know, this coming from the girl who doesn't bake much. But that, I DO know. Ah, monkey bread.....haven't had that in forever.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

So with you on the shopping attitude. Not my favourite pass time. And yet...how often do I lament not having a mall in this town? Hmm...weird...

Melissa said...

The silver one... so if I asked you about the cinnamon rolls you'd tell me the silver ones? I am a tad concerned...

Randi said...

Hannah- yes! and no more hints for anyone.

Yvonne. That woman was at least 85. I don't call anyone within 15 years of myself "older". Ever.

Nancy - Are you eating the moon pies? or are they for target practice? Cause that would be amazing!

Mindy- That guy is a keeper!! maybe I could get The Brain interested in grocery shopping by asking him to research pickles. umm probably not.

Kristen- GooD because that's what I told her. I've never actually made monkey bread, so you can see I was dispensing advice that was worth exactly what she was paying.

Kim- Interesting.., Maybe if I had less access.

Melissa - Yes. If you're buying electronic cinnamon rolls, I'd say get the silver.

The Wiz said...

What is monkeybread?

Lena said...

You must be very approachable! I probably look like a grump because no one ever asks me anything. Avoid eye contact, lol! I like to shop if I can do it by myself. Well, maybe not grocery shop...

Anonymous said...

hi randi,
i could not imagine liking you more than i do now! i am with you sister. i hate shopping (unless i have a specific and SHORT purpose). i would rather clean the toilet than just wander around woo hoot i am shoppping. eeekkk gag choke churtle gag!

you are amazingly kind. not even surprised how they reacted to you hon.

i enjoyed how you wrote this post. and you cracked me up when you said the "silver" one. you are adorable, kathleen xoxo

ps. and i realllly love that i have a blog again and can leave comments again, but i still hate that the old one died, but i am enjoying what i have now hon

Anonymous said...

I call blogger bs. And by bs I mean bologna sandwiches. I have known you for many, many years and you are indeed a shopper. A very thorough, dedicated, and consummate shopper. cheers!