Monday, July 13, 2009

It's Sort of a Love/Hate Thing

The Brain is currently trying to figure out ways to get out of being the president of our HOA. He's currently in year 4 of a 2 year term. So if you're a mathematical wiz, like me, you'll eventually be able to figure out - he's been up for replacement for 2 years now.

Basically, he can't get anyone to take his place. He can't even get anyone to come to an annual homeowner meeting, let alone be willing to take over his gig. Last year only two people who weren't on the board showed up to the annual meeting... and one of them was me.

I've been telling him it's because he's doing too good a job, and I think the only way out at this point is for him to plan his own demise.

The only question is - Should he make people begin to hate him slowly, or all at once?

He's thinking he should start sending out fines for ridiculous infractions, like mowing your lawn between 7 at night and 7 in the morning, which technically would be against the rules, but....

I think hey, if you're just out to make people mad, at least let's get some good out of it. I want to fine people for every time their kids break the tops off my flowers because they cut through my flowerbed instead of using the sidewalk.

Or if he REALLY wants a big turn-out at the annual meeting, maybe take around flyers to advertise it, and put in prominent writing at the bottom:

We will be discussing the dues increase, which will be used to send the board members on an annual Hawaiian retreat.

Maybe it's just me, but I think people would really show up to discuss that.

19 comments:

Barbaloot said...

Why doesn't he make them mandatory meetings with fines if you miss...that's a super fast way to make people hate you!

Tay said...

OH yes, those are fantastic ideas: enforcing fines or due increases. Woohoo! Definitely good ideas.

Kristina P. said...

I would take your husband any day. There is all sorts of drama with out HOA. Some of the residents tried to stage a coup! It was awesome.

Loralee and the gang... said...

I'm so glad I live rural and we don't have HOA'S...
:~D

Loralee and the gang... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emmy said...

Try the last one, I bet it will work. I am just glad we don't live in Mesa anymore so that we don't have to deal with HOA'S anymore.

Amy Peterson said...

lol- I want to come to Hawaii as well!

goddessdivine said...

I love it. I say do all of the above. I wish your hubby were running my HOA; they have made some dumb decisions in the past.

mormonhermitmom said...

Maybe it's time to draw a Declaration of Independence from HOA's. If no one cares enough to serve, then obviously the HOA no longer serves the needs of the neighborhood. Abolish it. Dissolve it. Tell everyone to keep their dues and declare that you are responsible for your lot and they are responsible for theirs. CRY FREEDOM!

Sue said...

I like the retreat in Hawaii! What better way to use those dues...

Heidi said...

The way to go is definitely a dues increase. NOTHING gets people more up-in-arms. ESPECIALLY if it's to pay for the water bill from WAY OVER-watering the common areas because the HOA Prez has a psychological issue about *gasp* BROWN SPOTS!!! *dun-dun-DUN*

Yvonne said...

I think the flyer about the annual meeting WOULD DEFINITELY WORK. In fact, you'd probably have to rent a larger room ; )

Tenae said...

When I lived in Boise our HOA pres would wander around the neighborhood in the evening...drunk. Once he peed on my car tire WHILE we were standing in the front yard watching him. Good times, good times.

Mrs Andy said...

It's like you need a situation similar to the time when Jerry Seinfeld's dad was running for president of the Del Boca Vista HOA, and Jerry gave him a new Caddy. It was almost like having a coup.... :)

But seriously, is there any way that your husband and the board could just dissolve the HOA and you all could just get on with your lives? Another thing to consider, if that's not an option, is to always have a pres-elect in the wings.

Dave said...

have The Brain take The Simpsons suggestion, but document it with photos and video so we can all enjoy watching it.

Heather said...

Pack for Hawaii!!

Jennifer said...

Count me in for the Hawaii deal!!

Janell said...

Gee. My thought when you started the post was, "Easy way to get out: move."

Dues increases will definitely spark some people into attendance. . . and if not, then, by all means, increase the dues.

Loralee and the gang... said...

You DO want to go to Hawaii anyway, don't you? And who needs friends for neighbors, anyway?
:~D