Monday, December 26, 2011

The Last Santa Picture

I've written before about my favorite Christmas tradition; The Santa Picture.  (incidentally, along with being a favorite tradition, that was one of my favorite posts)   I have loved doing it for 25 years now, but this year, my kids started referring to it as the Year of the Awkward Picture.
See, they've always been told that they get OUT of the picture when they have a new baby to sit on Santa's lap and start their own little tradition.  But this year, Hannah is married, and with their baby not coming until March - - who should be in the picture???

There were those who felt that Hannah's husband Andrew should not be subjected to the humiliation of the Santa picture, and then those who felt that hey, joining this family means all kinds of humiliation, and he might as well get used to it.  I don't think Andrew really cared one way or the other - - at least he didn't vocalize it if he did.

As we discussed this Very Important Family Business, my mind started projecting outward several years - - and I could come up with Santa picture situations even MORE awkward than the current one.  And really, if you decide not to get married young for whatever reason, should you be required by your mother to show up at age 25 (30? 35? 50?) to sit with Santa for a picture?  

Awkward.

With a little (a lot of) sadness, we decided this tradition had run its course, and as Mimi's last year at home, this would be the Year of the Final Santa Picture.


And so with a little *sniff*,  I give you- the very first (polaroid), and the very last (digital) Santa Pictures:

1986



2011
Hope your Christmas was wonderful!

10 comments:

Janell said...

Lots of babies being born in March this year =D

Yvonne said...

I love the tradition and think it's GREAT.

Love the picture. Can't wait to see the new one next year with the newest member of the family. Congrats to all of you.

kristi r said...

i wish we could see all 25, on here, but I know that's a little crazy.
I really think we should do a book with all of the family's. I love your display of them, and aspire to display them as well as you. :)

Paul said...

NO! Make them go BY FORCE if you have to!

Susan and I get in ours. The way I see it is that if we can be subjected to the humiliation, then so can our kids - no matter what their age is!

When they get a little older, I will just start threatening to leave them out of the will. That seems to work on TV!

Jennifer said...

I love the Santa picture tradition! I agree it is a good year to end the tradition with your last kid being a senior in High School. (I hope Hannah and Andrew had a picture done with the two of them.)
Like Kristi, I would love to see them all in succession too. I REALLY need to gather all of ours and put them in a book or something. (Wouldn't it be cool to have the ones with us growing up to look at too!)

ohh...and I LOVE the matching outfits! A nice final touch!

Heather said...

I think it is the perfect ending! Hope your holidays are fantastic.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Great tradition! I'd love to see all the photos in-between - I'll bet there are some really humorous ones!

Dave said...

how are things so :-) and so :'( and :') at the same time?

Tammy said...

I'm starting to finally get it that these little ones do grow up fast. I was watching some old home videos today. How can it be that I'm past the baby/toddler stage and entering the teenage stage? I love that you made the Santa photo a tradition to capture the memories. Your kids are so good looking! :)

Catherine said...

So awesome...so sad....oh the memories. :) I think you just need to bargain with it. If that tradition has to get thrown out, then maybe another tradition needs to go too....maybe, I don't know....giving gifts should also go. Oh, what's that? They still WANT gifts? Then maybe it's negotiable since you have a little WANT of your own. :) Fair trade! :)

And yes, I totally want to see all 25 now. :)